It is a cruel annual pattern: the temperature plummets, memories of sun-soaked days fade and your energy levels nose-dive. You could pass it off as the ‘winter blues’ but there is a chance an iron deficiency is to blame.
Iron plays a huge role in transporting oxygen around your blood stream and helps the body convert carbohydrates into energy during exercise. After strenuous exercise the body uses iron to help produce new cells, proteins, and hormones. When iron levels run low all of this is disrupted. Oxygen levels in your body drop, leaving you in a state of malaise that impacts work performance, judgement, and ability to focus and puts your immune system under pressure.
Other classic symptoms include headaches, breathlessness, dizziness, nausea, canker sores, brittle nails, mouth ulcers and cold sores. Children who are iron deficient may lose their appetite and have behavioural problems.
Not surprisingly, the most common groups affected by iron deficiency are women (pregnancy and heavy periods being major contributors) and athletes (particularly endurance runners).
Major contributors to iron loss include illness and diet. Tea, coffee, cocoa, phytates (found in grains and legumes) and oxalates (found in spinach, among other sources) can interfere. Changing your diet to give yourself an iron boost is important but it can still be an uphill battle.
An easy way to boost your iron intake has just hit the market, with Silicea launching its new Body Essential Iron range. The Vital M+ Tablets and Vital F+ Liquid Sachets help reduce tiredness and fatigue as well as restore inner vitality with a single daily dose.
Other benefits include:
- A big 15mg of Iron per single dose (compare this with other liquid supplements containing only 5 or 10mg of iron)
- Silicea’s Vital M+ next generation microencapsulated iron is gentle on the stomach and non-constipating.
- Vitamin C for increased iron absorption.
- Both the liquid and tablet forms are yeast, gluten and lactose free.
- The range is made in Germany from the finest quality ingredients.
- Suitable for women, pregnant women, nursing mothers, men, athletes, senior citizens and children over 12 years old.
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly.
This brand new Iron supplement from the house of Silicea will iron out your winter blues and put a spring in your step. To try the new Body Essential Iron VITAL range, head in to your local Chemist Warehouse or My Chemist today!